Dowling Duncan and redesigning the American Dollar:
Why the size?
We have kept the width the same as the existing dollars. However we have changed the size of the note so that the one dollar is shorter and the 100 dollar is the longest. When stacked on top of each other it is easy to see how much money you have. It also makes it easier for the visually impaired to distinguish between notes.
Why a vertical format?
When we researched how notes are used we realized people tend to handle and deal with money vertically rather than horizontally. You tend to hold a wallet or purse vertically when searching for notes. The majority of people hand over notes vertically when making purchases. All machines accept notes vertically. Therefore a vertical note makes more sense.
Why different colors?
It’s one of the strongest ways graphically to distinguish one note from another.
Why these designs?
We wanted a concept behind the imagery so that the image directly relates to the value of each note. We also wanted the notes to be educational, not only for those living in America but visitors as well. Each note uses a black and white image depicting a particular aspect of American history and culture. They are then overprinted with informational graphics or a pattern relating to that particular image.
$1 – The first African American president
$5 – The five biggest native American tribes
$10 – The bill of rights, the first 10 amendments to the US Constitution
$20 – 20th Century America
$50 – The 50 States of America
$100 – The first 100 days of President Franklin Roosevelt. During this time he led the congress to pass more important legislations than most presidents pass in their entire term. This helped fight the economic crises at the time of the great depression. Ever since, every new president has been judged on how well they have done during the first 100 days of their term.
95367 Notes/ Hide
- blackiochronicles reblogged this from fyeahafrofuturism
- iwalkedby-youcaughtmyeye reblogged this from whatlifewhisperedandnobodyheard
- bieberisthekey reblogged this from iheartfrenchsocialism
- otatpo reblogged this from let-them-eat-vag
- imitation-paradise likes this
- awesomecinos likes this
- wendigho likes this
- storememories reblogged this from terrakion
- the-freckled-runner reblogged this from konnoke
- darknessoflightreborn reblogged this from kylaiajmaa
- darknessoflightreborn likes this
- wildlingfire likes this
- nootnewt reblogged this from thefayzqueen
- cjroxursox likes this
- 34343425345 likes this
- greetingssaludos likes this
- dare-the-boy reblogged this from gryffindor-red
- alohabrony reblogged this from notiethenote
- brainy-twilight likes this
- sassyfrasart likes this
- snowball-story likes this
- notiethenote reblogged this from zelo
- dre1123 reblogged this from wcutuba
- inexplicablytara likes this
- jassybabey reblogged this from poorlittlecellist
- loprizzleindahhizzle reblogged this from thegiantredpanda
- stressedbreasts likes this
- awhataduck likes this
- cagedphilosopher reblogged this from thegiantredpanda
- coppertogold reblogged this from repeat-the-question
- quandra-desu likes this
- thegiantredpanda reblogged this from bobmarleynephew
- repeat-the-question reblogged this from poorlittlecellist
- bobmarleynephew reblogged this from heat718
- meledde reblogged this from crystalizedbriizee
- tttiiiaaarrrnnneee likes this
- oylomuychingon likes this
- golden-gemini reblogged this from niceonejamesss
- lordsherlokimort likes this
- niceonejamesss reblogged this from lilypotterrs
- jackelynp reblogged this from boaardthemothership and added:
- jackelynp likes this
- boaardthemothership reblogged this from chicket-nuggets
- standup-eight reblogged this from poorlittlecellist
- bethekanyebest reblogged this from chicket-nuggets
- through---my---eyes likes this
- life-as-a-music-ed-major likes this
- chinko-kun likes this
- dancingtomusic likes this