Dowling Duncan and redesigning the American Dollar:
Why the size?
We have kept the width the same as the existing dollars. However we have changed the size of the note so that the one dollar is shorter and the 100 dollar is the longest. When stacked on top of each other it is easy to see how much money you have. It also makes it easier for the visually impaired to distinguish between notes.
Why a vertical format?
When we researched how notes are used we realized people tend to handle and deal with money vertically rather than horizontally. You tend to hold a wallet or purse vertically when searching for notes. The majority of people hand over notes vertically when making purchases. All machines accept notes vertically. Therefore a vertical note makes more sense.
Why different colors?
It’s one of the strongest ways graphically to distinguish one note from another.
Why these designs?
We wanted a concept behind the imagery so that the image directly relates to the value of each note. We also wanted the notes to be educational, not only for those living in America but visitors as well. Each note uses a black and white image depicting a particular aspect of American history and culture. They are then overprinted with informational graphics or a pattern relating to that particular image.
$1 – The first African American president
$5 – The five biggest native American tribes
$10 – The bill of rights, the first 10 amendments to the US Constitution
$20 – 20th Century America
$50 – The 50 States of America
$100 – The first 100 days of President Franklin Roosevelt. During this time he led the congress to pass more important legislations than most presidents pass in their entire term. This helped fight the economic crises at the time of the great depression. Ever since, every new president has been judged on how well they have done during the first 100 days of their term.
179500 Notes/ Hide
- sapphirechao reblogged this from captainsparx
- niveon reblogged this from voltali
- tetsuyaah likes this
- lucylouisaking likes this
- insertbadpun likes this
- juststayabove reblogged this from steph-has
- juststayabove likes this
- mags-is-here likes this
- lulu-is-treble94 likes this
- onlychu reblogged this from cassandraemeraldsong
- jubilee-sanctuary likes this
- neoparisrebel likes this
- windwalker14 reblogged this from linkseyebrows
- rhinolovebutt reblogged this from linkseyebrows
- br0000ke likes this
- deep-sea-anglerphish likes this
- kyle-kyle-kyle likes this
- asingularmind reblogged this from grim-revolution
- you-should-watch-tanked reblogged this from fuckyeahamurica
- voltali reblogged this from captainsparx
- captainsparx reblogged this from rinwolfy
- delectablility reblogged this from theraindropstreasure
- theeryanturner likes this
- delectablility likes this
- theraindropstreasure reblogged this from mensfrightsactivist
- iaimt0misbehave reblogged this from fugaciousplaces
- iaimt0misbehave likes this
- everwinged likes this
- youmyselfandme likes this
- youmyselfandme reblogged this from capriciouslittleflower
- hamroids reblogged this from ressing
- boredsincebirth likes this
- exist-ntial likes this
- grim-revolution reblogged this from parisfalls93
- donutsprinklez reblogged this from colornbian
- donutsprinklez likes this
- hogwartshighinquisitor likes this
- meowzow reblogged this from fugaciousplaces
- meowzow likes this
- offlineismyliking likes this
- subtlybrilliant likes this
- ughhhnoyd reblogged this from fugaciousplaces
- moonyrjams reblogged this from allbuiltforsin
- avengersemhwasp1 likes this
- introvertedmegalomaniac reblogged this from colornbian
- introvertedmegalomaniac likes this
- colornbian reblogged this from ritornel