Dowling Duncan and redesigning the American Dollar:
Why the size?
We have kept the width the same as the existing dollars. However we have changed the size of the note so that the one dollar is shorter and the 100 dollar is the longest. When stacked on top of each other it is easy to see how much money you have. It also makes it easier for the visually impaired to distinguish between notes.
Why a vertical format?
When we researched how notes are used we realized people tend to handle and deal with money vertically rather than horizontally. You tend to hold a wallet or purse vertically when searching for notes. The majority of people hand over notes vertically when making purchases. All machines accept notes vertically. Therefore a vertical note makes more sense.
Why different colors?
It’s one of the strongest ways graphically to distinguish one note from another.
Why these designs?
We wanted a concept behind the imagery so that the image directly relates to the value of each note. We also wanted the notes to be educational, not only for those living in America but visitors as well. Each note uses a black and white image depicting a particular aspect of American history and culture. They are then overprinted with informational graphics or a pattern relating to that particular image.
$1 – The first African American president
$5 – The five biggest native American tribes
$10 – The bill of rights, the first 10 amendments to the US Constitution
$20 – 20th Century America
$50 – The 50 States of America
$100 – The first 100 days of President Franklin Roosevelt. During this time he led the congress to pass more important legislations than most presidents pass in their entire term. This helped fight the economic crises at the time of the great depression. Ever since, every new president has been judged on how well they have done during the first 100 days of their term.
95268 Notes/ Hide
- fuckdatshiet likes this
- sweetxsecret reblogged this from queerquilava
- hipaunt likes this
- reckless-stares reblogged this from medusabitch
- run-smile-eat likes this
- zacharyfaust likes this
- midnightsurvival likes this
- avontull likes this
- lilithvelkor23 reblogged this from theonebetween
- theonebetween reblogged this from theilluminatiarchives
- pandanii likes this
- stevenbk likes this
- cooolneverfades likes this
- fabfashionartbeauty reblogged this from catswithatouchofrandom
- fabfashionartbeauty likes this
- catswithatouchofrandom likes this
- catswithatouchofrandom reblogged this from nativeparticles
- arac likes this
- j0eypleasee likes this
- wald0pleasee reblogged this from nativeparticles
- wald0pleasee likes this
- nativeparticles likes this
- nativeparticles reblogged this from feral-fairy
- bianeydna reblogged this from perspi-looks
- ituarte-tabernackle reblogged this from industrialdesigners
- zombieelectricalley reblogged this from himitsutsubasa
- himitsutsubasa reblogged this from bigcannedtuna
- livebymoonlight likes this
- leightipper reblogged this from fallingsherlocks
- lexsea likes this
- fallingsherlocks reblogged this from black-n-purple
- dagoth-ethan reblogged this from black-n-purple
- black-n-purple reblogged this from wtssapning
- leatherfawn likes this
- wtssapning reblogged this from slothbanana
- lilgreeantea reblogged this from 1-510-snsd
- 1-510-snsd reblogged this from bigcannedtuna
- violent-waffles likes this
- lacrimosabutterfly likes this
- bigcannedtuna reblogged this from abigkerfuffle
- abigkerfuffle reblogged this from rudy-the-reindeer
- infinitytimesinfinityandone reblogged this from corpsebrideforbrekky
- mentallyunstableforyou likes this
- justanothergirlon reblogged this from peapodfairy
- corpsebrideforbrekky reblogged this from peapodfairy
- rudy-the-reindeer reblogged this from peapodfairy
- rudy-the-reindeer likes this
- whisper-olson likes this