Dowling Duncan and redesigning the American Dollar:
Why the size?
We have kept the width the same as the existing dollars. However we have changed the size of the note so that the one dollar is shorter and the 100 dollar is the longest. When stacked on top of each other it is easy to see how much money you have. It also makes it easier for the visually impaired to distinguish between notes.
Why a vertical format?
When we researched how notes are used we realized people tend to handle and deal with money vertically rather than horizontally. You tend to hold a wallet or purse vertically when searching for notes. The majority of people hand over notes vertically when making purchases. All machines accept notes vertically. Therefore a vertical note makes more sense.
Why different colors?
It’s one of the strongest ways graphically to distinguish one note from another.
Why these designs?
We wanted a concept behind the imagery so that the image directly relates to the value of each note. We also wanted the notes to be educational, not only for those living in America but visitors as well. Each note uses a black and white image depicting a particular aspect of American history and culture. They are then overprinted with informational graphics or a pattern relating to that particular image.
$1 – The first African American president
$5 – The five biggest native American tribes
$10 – The bill of rights, the first 10 amendments to the US Constitution
$20 – 20th Century America
$50 – The 50 States of America
$100 – The first 100 days of President Franklin Roosevelt. During this time he led the congress to pass more important legislations than most presidents pass in their entire term. This helped fight the economic crises at the time of the great depression. Ever since, every new president has been judged on how well they have done during the first 100 days of their term.
179838 Notes/ Hide
- utterlyobssesed reblogged this from lucithor
- thedalinastarkov likes this
- hangry-san reblogged this from negataros and added:
- alittlepastel reblogged this from lucithor
- alittlepastel likes this
- themadcat reblogged this from lucithor
- chekovspettribble reblogged this from lucithor
- vayahostia likes this
- octoberfiend reblogged this from lucithor
- whytelevisionwhy reblogged this from lucithor
- hashtagohjazzmin reblogged this from lucithor
- alltheasakiku reblogged this from lucithor
- lextheloser reblogged this from lucithor
- ohsnapitswill likes this
- scorched-in-black reblogged this from lucithor
- sorryitshaylee reblogged this from lucithor
- sorryitshaylee likes this
- negataros reblogged this from lucithor
- lucithor reblogged this from combeferrocity
- amireal2u likes this
- alycat150 reblogged this from bomberqueen17
- thewildgingeraffe likes this
- paradoxicallytwisted reblogged this from jackie-harkness
- jackie-harkness reblogged this from 8abstractcats
- the-fabulous-book reblogged this from ferret55
- the-fabulous-book likes this
- 8abstractcats reblogged this from amywhowaited
- kotonechan32 likes this
- torridtyger likes this
- slightly-austin-tatious likes this
- itsallfunandgamesuntil likes this
- apieceoftheocean reblogged this from pseudolegendary
- sicklyj reblogged this from horanmclovin
- dalmoon likes this
- lanadelctrlaltrey likes this
- saskiyeaaaaah likes this
- helicaseofplagueflight likes this
- savwafair reblogged this from samkind
- ursustheempath reblogged this from samkind
- ursustheempath likes this
- pumpkindraws reblogged this from honeybloods
- honeybloods reblogged this from samkind
- ninthrevolver likes this
- swelladele reblogged this from samkind
- swelladele likes this
- nilledem reblogged this from -itsmamawolf
- kindofalwayshope likes this
- bifurcatedeyes likes this
- yaoicop likes this
- soselfimportant likes this